Volunteers are the heart of the Vanessa Behan.
Basic requirements for childcare volunteers are as follows:
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Traditional Child Care volunteers must be willing to work a minimum of one three-hour shift per week for a minimum of four (4) months.
- Must have a Washington State Patrol background check completed by Vanessa Behan.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must be willing to follow guidance of staff.
- Must pass interview screening and participate in volunteer training sessions.
- To apply to be a child care volunteer, please fill out our online volunteer application.
Steps for becoming a childcare volunteer are as follows:
Sign up for a Vanessa Promise Tour. This is an opportunity to learn about Vanessa Behan’s mission and see the facility. Call 509.598.7490 and reserve your place at the next available tour. Due to the confidentiality of our services you must call and reserve your seat.
Complete the online application or call us at 509.598.7490 and ask the Receptionist to mail you an application. We require 4 personal references (no family members) on the application. Please note: We send out a Reference Inquiry and prefer e-mail addresses more than mailing addresses for your references. Gather this information ahead of time, if possible.
Once we receive your application, we will contact you via e-mail or by phone to set up a time for an interview. If you don’t hear back from us within 2-3 days of submitting your application, please check your Bulk/Spam/Trash folder as our response may have ended up there. If you still don’t find a response from us or if you mailed in your application, give us a call at 509.598.7490.
All volunteers who work directly with the children in the nursery need to have a current TB Test and a WA State Food Handler’s Permit. Current for both of these means within the last 2 years. Information and paperwork on obtaining both of these requirements will be given out during the interview.
All prospective volunteers need to attend a Basic Childcare Training offered at least once a month. Dates for upcoming training sessions are listed on the volunteer section of the website.
Sign up for a time and start volunteering.